Meet our nursery pets
We recognize that pets can help meet the emotional needs of children and adults. Caring for pets also gives children the opportunity to learn how to be gentle and responsible for others and supports their learning and development – we have 2 Rabbits and 2 gold fish.
- Permission slips are obtained from parents to seek written permission for their child to be involved in caring for the animals at the nursery
- A full documented risk assessment is completed, including considerations for children with any allergies
- All pets are homed appropriately and securely
- Only staff has responsibility for cleaning out the animals. Protective equipment such as gloves and aprons are used
- We ensure all pets have had all of their relevant vaccinations, are registered with the vet and are child-friendly
- Pets are not allowed near food, dishes, worktops or food preparation areas. Children will wash their hands with soap and water after handling animals, and will be encouraged not to place their hands in their mouths while pets are being handled. The staff will explain the importance of this to the children
- Children will be encouraged to leave their comforters and dummies away from the animals to ensure cross-contamination is limited.
“The manager and staff enthusiastically complete a wide range of training and put any new knowledge into practice.”
Get in touch
The Valley Nursery and Kids Club
Team Valley Trading Estate
Tyne & Wear
Phone: 0191 491 5050